Tuesday, February 24, 2009

St. John's Bridge

This is the bridge that spans the Willamette River on the way to the area of Portland where Greg and Sara live. When I drove up there last Friday I couldn't resist taking a couple photos. The sky was soooo blue and the bridge had been repainted last summer and was gorgeous against the sky. Don't ask how I managed to get these photos. The first one was on the hill approach to the bridge and I was stopped in traffic. You really don't want to know about the second one.
Greg and Sara have a wonderful black and white framed photo of a couple workmen sitting on one of the scaffolds yards above the bridge when it was being built. They could be a couple of boys from the Huck Finn era sitting there eating their lunches.


I think this bridge is by far one of the most picturesque in the Portland area. I love that I get to drive across it when I visit my kids. There's a beautiful park on their side of the river under this bridge. It's called Cathedral Park because the supports for the bridge look like a Cathedral from the under side.

Hope you enjoy this little glimpse of Portland history.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the angle of the second shot.

madelineas said...

Gorgeous photos and love the blue ski

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos! Although they make my palms sweaty just thinking about going over that thing.

Amy said...

These are beautiful Pam!

Dena said...

WOW those turned out fabulous. Let me guess you were driving and holding the camera at the same time LOL
Guilty here as well ;)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bridge. I love bridges, and this one is a beauty. I can see why you took the photos. Now, tell me you didn't take the second photo WHILE you were driving, OK?