Saturday, December 13, 2008

Visit with Santa


Since my grandmother, Mimi, was employed at A & S department store in NYC, we visited with the santa at the store each December. The date on the back of this photo is 1950 which means that I am 8yrs. old and my brother is 6. My mother wrote on the back that this was our last visit to Santa. We must have decided that he was a nice fantasy by the next year.
It was really magical to visit the city at Christmas. The decorations in the big department stores were fabulous. Each window had animated displays and there were lights strung outside in swags, and trees and santas. And the Santa at A&S was the real deal - no fake beard for him. At least, that's the way I remember it.
We also went to the automat to eat - no it wasn't a place to wash clothes, but was a bit like a cafeteria. Each item of food was behind a little door and you put your change in and you could open the door and take out a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a salad, dessert......whatever was behind that particular door. It was so much fun.

2 comments:

madelineas said...

Oh WOW Pam, that photo is priceless. I don't ever remember seeing one of me and Santa.
I hope you are planning on printing these all out and bind them together.

Dena said...

OMGsh that picture of you is sooo totally Pam!! I am dying over here. It is so cute and you must scrap that ASAP!