Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Grammy



This is my paternal grandmother. She is very much a part of all my childhood memories of Christmas as she always came to our house. We were her only family because my father was an only child. She was a wonderful cook and was the preparer of both the Thanksgiving and the Christmas Feasts. Her plum pudding was legendary and her recipe was scribbled on a scratch piece of paper that my mother tried to duplicate for years before she got it right. I can still see her in my mind's eye as she walked down our street from the train station with her suitcase in her hand and her hat with the veil on her head. It wasn't a long walk from the station and my mother didn't drive until many years later. Grammy always had little treats for us in her suitcase so we loved to help her unpack. She had lots of time to play and read with us. And her hugs were warm and enveloping. I hope I can be the kind of grandmother to my grandchildren as she was to us.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Pam, Grandma Nell also had a suitcase full of surprises whenever she came to visit. Thanks for bring that memory back to me

Anonymous said...

I know you will be!!!
Niki

madelineas said...

Love this story Pam..you will be the best grandma around

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory of your grandmother, and I know you will be a wonderful grammy too.