Saturday, December 6, 2008

Caroling, part 1

My father had a beautiful tenor voice and he loved to sing. As a child he was a choirboy in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC. Later he sang in various groups - he met my mother through one of those. I remember him singing with the Men's Downtown Gleeclub in Brooklyn one year when they gave a concert in Carnegie Hall and I was old enough to attend. And he loved to go caroling about the neighborhood when I was growing up. My brother and I caroled with him. We must have been quite a sight all bundled up against the cold - two children and a man in an overcoat, scarf and hat. Some of the neighbors invited us in for something hot to drink and some Christmas cookies. My favorite carol as a child and for many years after was O Little Town of Bethlehem. And I loved to sing the high part when we did The First Noel. I never had the beautiful voice that my father had, but I loved to sing - and still do in church. I think my early love of singing began caroling with my father.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my grandmother toured with the USO
Niki

Anonymous said...

I loved this story Pam. It needs to be captured, on a page, in a journal, somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I love these little bits of memory lane you are revisiting, Pam...what an awesome story!

madelineas said...

Pam this is so cool that you are getting all down on your blog, what a great memory. My dad loved to sing to, but he could just not carry a note :)