Sunday, October 10, 2010

Coast Trip

Last week I drove the two hours to Bandon where I had not been in two years. It's really ridiculous that I had not taken the time to go in so long, but life just seemed to get in the way. I love this part of the Oregon coast. Willie and I loved to wander through the shops in Old Town, eat fresh seafood at one of the local restaurants, and scour the beach for stones and shells. Perhaps I had put this trip off because it was such a part of our lives together that it is difficult to go alone now.

This trip I stopped at the local quilt shop to see what they might have of interest. It's a nice little shop with lots of 'coast' fabrics as well as a good selection of holiday, batiks, and general fabrics. I found a few fat quarters that may work in a project I have planned for later this year. Since high tide was around noon, I then headed to the harbor to browse the boardwalk and the shops in Old Town. I love the book store and the cranberry candy store. Indulged in a small package of cranberry treats.

Then it was on to the Crab Shack for a lunch of fresh crab in the Famous Crab sandwich, which I ate while sitting in the sun facing the harbor. A sunny day at the coast is to be relished as much as the fresh crab.

I hit the Table Rock Wayside at the perfect time as the tide was going out. There was plenty of beach to walk on and only two other people off in the distance. The surf was LOUD just like I love. There is something about it that just changes my focus and lets all the stress drain out of me. I wandered about a 1/2 mile down the beach and back, getting my feet (OK, up to my knees) wet, picking up rocks that struck my fancy and taking tons of photos. Then it was time to head back home. One last photo from the top of the hill and I said my good-bye.

The drive home is lovely and the road is pretty good most of the way. I can still hear the sea in my head and recapture the calm when I look at my photos. I vow to be back there sooner next time.

No comments: