Friday, May 16, 2008

Five Friday Favs

Ok, Dena, I'll give this a whirl

-Sunshine, even tho it's officially 103 degrees today. Earlier in the week it was barely 60 degrees and cloudy. Gotta love Oregon weather.

-Homegrown baby leaf lettuce. I planted several plants in an old window box that is not longer sitting under a window. Every morning there are enough little leaves to pick for salad that day. I love that I can move my lettuce patch to safety each night so the snails don't feast on it, and can move it from sun to shade as needed.

-Grey's Anatomy. My daughter got me hooked on this a couple years ago. Thursday nights just weren't the same during the writers' strike, so now it's like welcoming back an old friend. I like how the characters are developing or disintegrating (Yang) this spring. Looking forward to Thursdays each week.

-Basic Grey. I have loved this manufacturer from the very first release. Lately, I've been looking at it rather than buying (can you say too much hoarding going on?). But Tina showed my some of the new Boxer line yesterday that she had bought on a trip up north. Any resolve I may have had dissolved at the first glance at this beautiful paper. So, I went on line and ordered some from Rocky Mountain Hobbies. Now I'm going to be checking on the mailman until it arrives.

-CSA. That's Community Supported Agriculture. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this hot new trend, consumers prepay for a designated number of weeks of organic local produce. The consumer then assumes some of the risk with the farmer, and the farmer has a guaranteed income for the season. It's a win/win situation for me. Fresh local, organic produce every week and I don't have to weed, water, worry about insects or drive all around town looking for good food. I got my first 'box' last week. Yummy baby greens, butter lettuce, cilantro, broccoli, rainbow chard and radishes were inside. Because of the wet cold weather earlier this spring, there was no box this week :(. Opening that box is like Christmas every week. I can't wait for the next one.

So that's my favs for this week.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey, you're doing CSA too! I signed up this year with a local farm and our first box will be June 3. It's been a cold, wet spring here, too. They usually start mid-May but were delayed this year. We'll have to compare notes!

And Pam, would you please consider opening your comments up to others? I hate logging into my google/blogger account. I'd much rather just put my own website.